Thursday 20 September 2012

Chemotherapy #11

Penultimate chemo. Done.

Well almost, I still have the 5FU pump attached until today until 4.30pm.

I feel like I'm being held together with cello tape and string, by that I mean that I'm having to rely on more meds and heating devices such as hot water bottles and a warm neck cushion to help me through the side effects. I think I'm coming down with a sniffle too.

Colds don't usually get me down but my bloods are starting to get knocked down with each cycle. Again, it's not really a problem unless I get some kind of chest infection which I've been prone to in the past. This would mean a stay at the hospital with IV antibiotics and isolation. I'm doing my utmost to dose up on vitamin C, keep drinking lots of water and lots of rest. No way am I'm letting this compromise my last dose of chemo!

My meeting with Dr B was fairly positive this time. I've learnt to smile sweetly and only bring up the essential details with him. He took a look at the lump in my tummy that was infected from a clexane injection, that's all good now. I had an insect bit on my leg over the weekend too, he took a look at that and didn't seem worried about it. No infection there either...phew, no more antibiotics for that.

We talked about my post treatment CT scan to see whether I'm still clear. It's booked for October 24th, day before my birthday. I've got to be honest, I'm terrified. I want nothing more in my life than for that scan to be clear, to set the benchmark for things to come. Then their is the week to fortnight wait to discuss the results, I can predict a few sleepless nights ahead.

Just a small plug to end this post for my friend Dan.

Dan completed the 3 Peaks challenge (Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon) within 23 hours and 45 minutes. It was an incredible achievement and left him
very sore afterwards! Dan did this to raise money and awareness for my two favourite charities - Bowel Cancer UK and Beating Bowel Cancer. We hope that it's also raised further awareness for younger patients. Thank you to everyone who's sponsored, we're incredibly grateful. If you'd like to sponsor, you can at http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/DanOsmond - thank you Dan xx

Special thanks to Alice and Pete who were designated drivers and also the rest of the walkers who were doing their bit for charity xx

Next time I post will be after my last chemo!

Hayley xx



1 comment:

  1. Dont forget to eat a banana a day, wife been through chemo and radiotherapy, she had problems with potassium levels, and was advised to eat bananas.
    best wishes
    Paul

    ReplyDelete