Thursday 6 September 2012

Chemotherapy #10

I had a feeling this one wouldn't be so straight forward.

I don't know what it is, just had a inkling that it wouldn't go as smoothly as I'd like. Not that it was a total disaster, it wasn't; just a couple of annoyances.

It started when I went to see Dr B, my oncologist on Monday 3rd. People will probably know that although he is an excellent oncologist, he has the bedside manner of Frankie Boyle (perhaps a little harsh, but he was the first person who popped into my head.)

I was a little luckier this time with him, he had a student nurse shadowing, so he had to behave himself. Paul and I sat down and I gave my permission to allow the student nurse to sit in on my appointment.
We went through how my symptoms were from chemo #9, he was very thorough and jocular - all a lovely show for the student nurse. At least I didn't get called a reject / get told AGAIN how young I am to be a bowel cancer patient / how he can't promise it won't come back. It was all rather positive! Dr B even said that he WOULDN'T see me again once my treatment is done (I'll be referred back to the surgical tram for all follow up scans.)

So far, so good.

I asked Dr B to take a look at my tummy. I hopped onto the bed, lifted my top up and he had a look. I have a lump just under my skin, to the left of my belly button. It's right in the war zone that is the radiated section of my abdomen. It was sore, red and hot - the cause - Clexane injection. It's infected! I got away with seven months of no problems with these injections, but now my tummy is starting to rebel. It's so tough and lumpy now, it's hard to know where to inject without causing more lumpage (is that even a word?)

Dr B pinched the lump, which was already quite sore and confirmed that I'd have to go on a weeks course of antibiotics (Flucloxacillin) to knock the infection on its head. Dr B said he didn't want it turning into an abscess - eeek! He also gave me the option to defer the chemo for another week, I politely declined (!) he agreed only on the condition that if my lump got worse or my temperature spiked to call the hospital straight away. I agreed to this, I have a happy end date in my head and I'm trying desperately to not have anything get in the way to allow me to finish then.

Sorted. On antibiotics, chemo ready to go for Tuesday 4th.

My appointment for chemo was at 9.30, we waited for a little while until the head Sister in charge of the day unit came over to us to tell me that my bloods were lost from the previous day. The Sister wasn't happy about this, she'd taken my bloods the previous day and ensured they'd got sent to the lab. The bloods were lost somewhere there. I was hurried through to the area where bloods are taken and I was assured by the Sister that my bloods would be ready within the hour.

Paul and I decided to go to the Macmillan centre down the corridor to wait, have a cuppa and a few biscuits. The hour passed quickly and we made our way back to the day unit, my bloods were good so my chemo was a go!

It's weird to be happy to have chemo, I like that I'm in double figures now. I know that four weeks today, I'll be disconnected from my last 5FU pump.

Pre meds started as usual; dexamethasone, hydro cortisone, antihistamines, Emend and Ondansetron and I felt very drowsy as usual. The antihistamines get me every time, I dozed off for about an hour, noticing that during my slumber my mouth kept falling open, lovely sight for all the other patients. At least I didn't snore.

Chemo finished and we made our way home, I hit the sofa immediately and stayed there until bedtime. I can really understand when people describe the side effects as cumulative; the fatigue is immense. My brain whirs with all kinds of thoughts of things I want to do, but my body tells me - absolutely no way. I'm learning to just let it all flow over me (as frustrating as that can be) and rest. Rest is so important.

That evening I learned of the sad news that a fellow bowel cancer patient that I had lovely chats with on Twitter had passed away recently of this awful condition. It really hit me hard that night, he was a lovely chap - gave me kind words of encouragement when I was first diagnosed. We exchanged, gentle and humorous grumbles about our treatment as well as what helped us to cope with chemo side effects. A very kind soul, I'll miss our chats.

Where ever you are, Keith - you remained graceful throughout the difficulties that were thrown at you.

Rest in peace x

Hayley x

No comments:

Post a Comment